Previous Headlines

Friday 23 February 2007

Financial organisations lead the way



A recent article in computing magazine reported on the initiatives undertaken by the likes of HSBC, Lloyds TSB and Nationwide to be more energy efficient. HSBC is piloting virtual boardrooms across the world from June 2007 in a bid reduce both the cost and the environmental impact of air travel – a flight to New York is equivalent to 1.2 tonnes of Carbon Dioxide. Amongst other initiatives is the drive by both Nationwide and HSBC to encourage customers to stop paper statements and complete all banking online. As an avid online banker I find the convenience of paying all my bills and transferring money part of my everyday life and would be severely inconvenienced without it.

However, I am still guilty of receiving my paper statement every month and will continue to do so as there is some part of me that thinks this big IT system containing all of our information will one day fail and I will have to rely on my trusty paper statement to remind me who and what I pay every month. This leaves me asking myself the question, “am I a laggard” for not wholly embracing e-banking? The argument becomes more compelling when I realise that I didn’t know what blogs, mash ups, and flickr were until January 2007. Moore’s admittance in Crossing the Chasm that he too falls into this category when adopting personal technology offers me slight solace (that and the fact that when I read on in the article, the take up of online statements is less than 18%)!


Having diverted slightly, I want to finish my blog by telling you all that the article also taught me something I will think about as I leave the office every night – switching off the lights will provide enough energy to make 1000 cups of tea. Maybe I will educate my colleagues by advertising this at the door, on recycled paper of course!

3 comments:

Peter said...

Have a look at Zopa

http://www.zopa.com/ZopaWeb/


The future of financial organisations?

Helen said...

Ahh, so this is the "lending" concept I dismissed as a con when my friend told me about it a few months ago.

Looking at the website, I am actually very surprised. I'm not sure if it's the user friendly site, the blog or the openness of the organisation but I'm actually quite drawn to it.

I wonder if I am finally buying into the world of social computing?

Peter said...

Zopa shows how radical it all can be ..... but then again, how old is our concept of personal/commercial banking? What God-given right does it have? None, presumably.

Even if it is not radically challenged by the likes of Zopa, there is now another alternative in the market.

More in the bar! I have been reading about the history of usury.